Monday, March 15, 2010

A Long, Long Winter





Way back in the middle of January, Scot texted me that he would be plowing by Baldwin and if I wanted to bring the kids, they could see him on the new grader. I decided getting out of the house was a great idea, we would make an afternoon of it.








So we picked Maebelle up from school and headed toward Baldwin. I took my camera, thinking it would be a great chance to take some snowy shots. Even with as much snow as we had had all winter, I hadn't been out to capture much of it.








We met Scot and hung out for a few minutes, talking on the side of the road, while the kids sat up in the grader and asked all kinds of questions and tried to push all the buttons.








We followed him for about 5 miles so the kids could watch him plow. After saying goodbye and after the kids got their standard dose of Tic Tacs (at least 4 each), we started driving back toward Baldwin and toward a delicious lunch at Wheat State.








I decided that if I was going to get any photos at all, I needed to do it now. If I waited, the kids were sure to be too tired. So I pulled off the road at a couple of spots and clicked off some shots.








I didn't get to editing them until a couple of weeks ago. It was really hard to even look at them, but I knew I had to do it.








And I was able to edit these in a way that, for some reason, I had not been able to do before, even though I had tried for this look many times. I don't know that anyone will notice a difference, but I do.








Maybe it was excessive emotion that I had been missing.




After he passed, it snowed all week. Snow that was way too fluffy and dry for Kansas snow. It was beautiful. And he didn't have to plow it!




















And this sunset with the icicle was so amazingly colorful.




No comments: