Thursday, December 13, 2012

Thanks



The kids and I started a project the day before Thanksgiving.






We decided to make trees using branches from the pile out back. We then traced our hands for leaves, and wrote what we are thankful for on them.









Maebelle did a wonderful job. Her hands (and leaves) were beautiful and colorful. Her thanks were thoughtful.









Orion enjoyed it. He liked picking out the branches and drawing and cutting, but he wore out of the crafty mood quicker than Maebelle. He did a wonderful job with his turkey below.









The last one he did was his idea of his hand inside mine. Thankful for Christmas. :)






He also cut out an amazing evergreen tree, but I have that one on our fridge. ;)






I also decided to do a few. I thought I'd just write out one or two, but as time went on and Orion's interest faded, I thought in order to make the trees look full enough, I should write a few more. 









After it was complete and I was taking these pictures, I realized how much each of the things I put on the hand leaves actually means to me. I know that I wouldn't have been thankful for them if they hadn't meant anything. But really, these are the things that make my life worth living. And I realized that I should take time more regularly to be consciously thankful for them. Actually appreciate them with all my being, like I had the chance to do while photographing them.






And when I do that, it makes all other stress dissipate. That's a nice feeling.






Maybe that's why I enjoy photography so much. It slows my mind and thoughts down enough that I actually appreciate things instead of just going on without even noticing them.









And the finished product: 






We took one to Thanksgiving dinner at my grandparents house and still have the other here. And I still love it!









This is, I think, my favorite corner of the house. Now there is the addition of the gift Orion made me for my birthday. Which is layers of colored rock in a fish bowl that has bamboo growing in it. I have another of those bamboo planters made by Maebelle on my dresser. And they are bright and fun and make me smile. But this picture...I love the little evergreen, the leaves on the pot, the mushroom, the pot to the right is one that one of the kids painted me for Mother's Day a few years ago. And the apples. Maebelle painted the apples. And they are beautiful.






I am definitely thankful. I have a lot to be thankful for. Mostly I am thankful for who I am and where I am in this life right now and the loved ones I get to share it all with.


No comments: