Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Wood Worker's Showcase?

I think this blog has become a wood worker's showcase. (That's okay with me because I love capturing the grain and curl and beautiful colors of different wood done up into different shapes, lines and even textures.) There are several amazing wood workers in my family. My uncle Martin being one of them.








He made the collection plates, above, for his church. The most elaborate and beautiful collection plates I have ever seen. Isn't it stunning?








He also makes amazing boxes. I happen to be the recipient of the first box (about 5 or 6 years ago). And it seems each new box is more intricate and more extravagant than the last.








He is now trying out new techniques like the rounded dove tail below. Which seem to me like it would be impossible.








But he is so precise and detail oriented, he makes it work. And he makes it work well. (I guess that's why I am the photographer and not the wood master.)








Martin also has a way with choosing woods that look incredible together. So many colors and grains, and yet it all works perfectly.








And the double dove tail.








Exquisite.

2 comments:

Scot said...

They are simply amazing!

Anonymous said...

Great shots Sarah!!!!! love them :)